I nearly did The Top 2007 Songs From 2007 (like this insane post from last year). I decided to focus on 27 instead (2007 minus the zeroes).
These are the songs I think are the most well-written, well-performed, well-done and well-worth a listen.
27. The National ~ Ada
There is a great chance, if The Duchess and I ever have a baby girl, she will be named Ada.
26. Great Lake Swimmers ~ I Became Awake
I always wondered by they end the album with a sleepy song about awaking up?! (Maybe it’s a metaphor…)
25. Brandi Carlile ~ The Story
Love her emotion in this one.
24. Blitzen Trapper ~ Wild Mountain Nation
Just because it’s the shortest on the list, doesn’t mean it isn’t worth listening to.
23. Explosions in The Sky ~ So Long, Lonesome
A perfect 3:40 instrumental.
22. Wilco ~ Impossible Germany
For my salt, this has the best duo guitar lines since all the Allman Brothers were alive.
21. Rilo Kiley ~ The Moneymaker
Best use of a ‘70s sounding guitar line in 2007.
20. Joel Plaskett Emergency ~ Fashionable People
Best use of an ‘80s sounding guitar line in 2007.
19. Birdie Busch ~ Go Go Gadget Heart
Best song to reference Gnarls Barkley.
18. Eleni Mandell ~ Miss Me
Ms. Mandell’s best torch song.
17. The Felice Brothers ~ Your Belly In My Arms
Tender…like a nice grilled steak.
16. The Roches ~ Us Little Kids
“Where ever you are I hope you’re happy. Is that a stupid thing to say?”
15. Over The Rhine ~ Don’t Wait For Tom
Best ode to Tom Waits, ever.
14. Rachel Ries ~ Hands To Water
Lovely, lovely, lovely song.
13. John Doe ~ Golden State
Love Kathleen Edwards backup vocals on this one.
12. Northern State ~ Sucka Muthafucka
Don’t be one; just listen.
11. Augie March ~ One Crowded Hour
“Australians are the coolest people in the world.” – Dan Bern
10. Okkervil River ~ John Allyn Smith Sails
Perfect album ender.
9. Geoff Berner ~ Weep, Bride, Weep
Best song to mention bridesmaid’s getting it in the ass, ever.
8. A.A. Bondy ~ There’s A Reason
There are many reasons why this song made the list.
7. Jeremy Fisher ~ Scar That Never Heals
“She runs guns everyone wants…”
6. Feist ~ I Feel It All
I feel this song all day long.
5. Ethan Lipton ~ Girl From The Renaissance Faire
Sardonic? You betcha.
4. Josh Ritter ~ Rumors
Josh can do no wrong.
3. The Avett Brothers ~ Die, Die, Die
The first song I got into off of their excellent 2007 release.
2. Andrew Bird ~ Plasticities
My fav off Armchair.
1. Lewis & Clarke ~ Before It Breaks You
Even at 10:11, this song doesn’t seem long; I’ll never tired of it.
Many of these songs/artists are available for your 25 FREE DOWNLOADS from eMusic